Today we had a great picnic at Hugh MacRae park with a slight thundershower to put a damper on things for a few minutes! Luckily, the shower was like many at the beach...very short! After the picnic we went to Lowe's to pick up supplies for each project and then to the gas station to fill up the vans! $350.00 later, all the vans were full and ready for the drive home Saturday!
Tomorrow we will finish up our projects and have a closing for each group! It has been a great week so far...a hot week, but a great week! Many of the youth have really gotten what it means to not just meet someone's physical needs, but also minister to the person as well and meet their emotional/spiritual needs!
I could not be prouder of the work that the youth of Williamson's Chapel have done!
Here are updates for the 2 high school groups. I will try and get middle school updates by breakfast tomorrow!
Kevin
Team 2
I feel like today was an extra special day from all the others. The thing that made it an eye opener was we all went to the beach the day before and we were back to work again. At first, I wanted to leave. But, then I put the family and God before myself. As I did, my work and my effort progressed. As that increased..I could feel my faith was as well. Building the deck for the family is something that they will always hold close to them. They have little things but cherish them more. This is what I first noticed. The mom, Rebecca, had a big heart and a strong faith. She appreciated everything we did for her and the time we spent was priceless. The little boy, Nathan, was also overwhelmed with joy. We played pretend with him and he couldn't be happier to have friends to play with. So, as the day got hotter and we all got sweatier, we all grew closer. I went inside to take a break and to talk with the family. The whole time I talked to them, a smile never faded from their face. I got to see scrap books of their family and Nathan played dress up with the boys. I played a part in it. The boys ran and snagged me from the room and said I was a Cherokee girl and I was put in jail. Then they shot me and buried me. Haha I had fun. Mostly because I got to spend time with everyone and we all bonded like a family :) So, in the end the day was fun and the week was amazing. My faith has never been stronger and I have never cared for anything or anyone more than I do now. I feel like a new person and this mission trip opened my eyes and opened my heart to bigger and better things. Now, I can leave here with a stronger faith than ever before!
Team 5
Today was a hard working day for our group. Along with all of the work we did around the house, we thought of things to get the homeowners as a little gift before we left. As the week went on, we learned more and more about Mrs. Gladys and her daughter Priscella. When we were talking to them we found out that they have a love for apple pie, strawberry ice cream, blueberry muffins, and banana bread. Since they do not have the ability to cook due to the construction, we decided that it would be nice to bake them some of their favorite things. We went to Wal-mart and purchased strawberry ice cream, apple pie, blueberry muffin mix, and banana bread mix. We also got her a lovely front door mat. This will help her house to be more homely and welcoming. We hope to bring a smile to her face tomorrow as we surprise her with these goodies. Along with that, we will finish the main part of our project and hope that the team coming next week will be able to finish this project for us! (:
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment